Episode 19 – Flannel and Silk: The David Deutsch Story
As soon as David Deutsch found himself in the world of copywriting while working under David Ogilvy, he knew he had talent. In fact, David is so good that people say just one suggestion from him can drastically improve one’s copy. Whatever copy David touches in magic, that has been proven time and time again.
David, in his signature flannel shirt, has been working with Fortune 500 companies, and street smart entrepreneurs and sold everything from Maxwell House Coffee to an Encyclopedia of Estate Planning.
Get to know the genius that David is in today’s episode. We talk about his life in the world of copywriting and what younger copywriters should do to become an A-level copywriter like him.
“It’s hard to really get good at something without getting beaten down first.” – David Deutsch
Some topics that were discussed include:
- Comfort in writing
- How David approaches writing
- David’s journey into writing
- Is there a problem when focusing on just one niche?
- Working for Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.
- How to teach someone to improve their writing
- The biggest mistake of new copywriters
- What makes someone a great copywriter
- The importance of a healthy competitive drive
- Should you work with products you don’t believe in?
- Thoughts on freelancing
- David’s advice to his younger self
References & links mentioned:
- Chris’s Website
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Freakonomics by Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
Review The Chris Haddad Show
Thanks for tuning in to this week’s episode of the Chris Haddad Show! If the information shared in these weekly conversations and interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to iTunes, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review. Your reviews and feedback will not only help us continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help us reach even more amazing entrepreneurs just like you!